Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Red Alert Lunch

There are some people out there who "forget to eat lunch," whatever that means. Not only am I not that kind of person, I am generally suspicious of those who are (after all, aren't we hard-wired for hunger?). But I fully admit that once in a while, I wait way too long to eat. And when that does happen, I eventually enter the zone I call:

Red Alert.

It is an unpleasant state to be in: I get shaky; I get cranky; I DON'T CARE WHAT IT IS I JUST NEED TO EAT RIGHT NOW RIGHT THIS VERY MINUTE WOULD YOU PLEASE GET OUT OF MY WAY.

It happened today - I got engulfed in the project I'm working on and I decided to keep at it until I reached a good stopping point. Which was good for my progress, bad for the blood sugar.


When I did finally take a break, I realized there wasn't much around, ingredient-wise, so I slapped together the quickest thing I could find...some skyr (Iceland's answer to Greek yogurt), topped with killer extra virgin olive oil, some zaatar, and a sprinkle of salt. And it was really good! I would have stopped to savor it a bit if I had had any conscious control over my actions at that point.

It was delicious, and took just seconds to make - so fast that maybe next time I'll just sneak it in before I even take a break from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment